Cooking with protein powder is surprisingly easy, and there are countless fantastic recipes to suit just about everyone’s taste. One of the mainstays of the bodybuilding world, standing alongside its trusty colleagues the protein pancake and the protein flapjack, is the humble brownie – a straightforward, delicious cake that’s perfect for upping your protein intake while satisfying your sweet tooth.
Even simpler is the protein powder microwave brownie, which can be mixed and cooked in under 10 minutes. It’s perfect when you’re in the mood for something sweet and are trying to eat well, and most people will have the ingredients to hand so you can typically skip the trip to the supermarket.
They’re also pretty useful when it comes to portion control. Many recipes are made in a mug one at a time, so you’re generally skipping the temptation to smash an entire tray of brownies through a combination of hunger and a weird sort of lust for chocolate. Of course, they’re so quick and easy to make that there’s very little stopping you from rustling up another one, but I’ll let your conscience guide you on that one.
Here are a few of my favourite protein powder microwave brownie recipes.
Simple Microwave Protein Brownie
- 1 scoop chocolate whey
- 1/2 tsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp stevia
- 2 tbsp unsweetened almond milk
- Mix your dry ingredients together in the mug
- Slowly add the almond milk until it forms a thick paste
- Microwave on high for 30 seconds – if it’s not cooked properly put it back in for another 15 seconds
Chocolate Peanut Butter Brownie
- 1 scoop (25g) chocolate whey powder
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp sweetener (stevia etc)
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp milk (skimmed or semi- skimmed is fine)
- 1 egg white
- 1 tbsp natural peanut butter (not essential, but adds some healthy fat and tastes amazing)
- Add all the dry ingredients together in a mug
- Add the egg white and the milk and mix with a fork until it’s smooth and there are no lumps
- If you’re adding peanut butter, drop it in and push it to the bottom of the mug
- Pop it in the microware for around a minute, but keep an eye on it in case it spills over! If it does, just stop the microwave and push it back down with a fork before restarting
- It should emerge cooked through but still moist. If not pop it back in for another 10-15 seconds
Oatmeal Fudge Brownie
- 1/4 cup dry oats
- 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1 scoop chocolate whey protein powder
- ½ tsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 egg white
- 1/2 banana, mashed
- 1 tbsp. almond milk
- A few drops of vanilla essence
- Pinch of salt
- Add all your dry ingredients to the mug first
- Stir in the egg white, banana, almond milk and vanilla slowly
- Mix thoroughly with a fork to ensure a smooth consistency
- Pop it in the microwave for 60 seconds – if it’s not cooked through then blast it for another 20
So there you have it – 3 extremely simple, quick ways to get some extra protein and satisfy your sweet tooth at the same time! Do you have any recipes you’d recommend? Leave a comment below and let us know.