Are you looking for super healthy yet delicious meals? Have you tried eating asparagus but your taste buds won’t stand another extra bite? Then stick with me as I change that perspective.
Today we are going to learn about three amazing ways of making asparagus that will leave you begging for a second serving. If asparagus is new to you, click here to discover more about how to cook asparagus.
Vegetables play a huge role in weight loss, and asparagus is a very healthy veggie. Burgers are definitely yummier than asparagus but giving this awesome veggie a twist will make you ditch your favorite burger. Admittedly, nothing beats enjoying a healthy meal and keeping off those stubborn pounds while you’re at it.
These recipes are straightforward, and the ingredients are very affordable. In all the recipes we are going to use healthy fats such as olive oil and coconut oil.
They are safe for the body and without any known long-term adverse effects. In most procedures, we shall be boiling, baking and, shallow frying asparagus to reduce the amount of cooking oil we use. Let’s go:
1. Asparagus And Eggs
This is my favorite way of making this healthy veggie. Vegetables and protein are such a healthy combination! This healthy dish has minimal carbohydrates making it a fantastic weight loss meal. The egg whites make the asparagus really crunchy, and the runny yolk leaves you with a delish sauce.
The most amazing thing is that this meal has 65 calories only and is such a quick fix… 20 minutes and you are done! This recipe is made for only serving one person, but you can be easily double or even triple the ingredients to serve more. Here we go:
1/3 pound fresh asparagus
2 cloves of garlic (peeled and crushed)
1 tsp coconut oil
Coriander leaves (finely chopped)
Seasoned salt to taste
- Trim the woody ends from the asparagus.
- Heat a pan over medium-high heat.
- Once the pan is hot, add the coconut oil and garlic until it turns light brown.
- Add the trimmed asparagus to the pan.
- Keep stirring and flipping the asparagus until they are charred on both sides.
- Season with white pepper and salt.
- Arrange the asparagus nicely in the pan.
- Gently crack the eggs such that the yolk does not mix with the egg whites. Pour them on top of the asparagus…gently!
- Season the eggs with white pepper and salt.
10.Reduce the heat to medium, cover the pan and let them steam for about 4 minutes.
11.Cook until the egg whites are perfectly cooked.
12.Gently pour your asparagus on a plate.
13.Garnish your asparagus with the finely chopped coriander leaves.
14.Enjoy your healthy meal!!
2. Asparagus With Bacon And Mushrooms
Change is as good as rest! It can be really boring to keep doing the same thing over and over again, and that’s why I won’t tire of sharing these recipes with you. Here goes another wonderful way of making asparagus. It’s not only low carb but also gluten free.
This recipe is a quick fix too, 10-15 minutes and it’s ready! The beauty of this recipe is that it has an impressive amount of fiber and healthy fats.
Healthy foods don’t have to be boring. The bacon will help a great deal especially if you are trying to get your kids to eat asparagus.
I pound asparagus (sliced)
4 bacon slices (chopped)
10 ounces mushrooms (sliced)
I tablespoon of olive oil
4 cloves of garlic (peeled and crushed)
- Heat a pan over low-medium heat.
- Add oil in the pan.
- Add the chopped bacon to the pan and cook until they are crispy enough.
- Transfer to another plate.
- Put the crushed garlic and purple onion in the pan used to cook bacon. The bacon oil in the pan will just be enough.
- Add the mushrooms and cook until tender. Be careful not to overcook the mushrooms. Cooking on low heat will help.
- Add the asparagus and steam until they are crispy tender.
- Season with cayenne pepper and salt.
- Serve immediately and thank me later.
3. Parmesan Asparagus
Are you a cheese lover? Then you got to love this. I just love how versatile asparagus is. Keeping the pounds at bay and still having finger licking meals is a huge plus. If you are on a low carb diet then this recipe got your back. It also has only 120 calories.
I just love the way the red and black pepper gives it a zip. This recipe is definitely a winner.The addition of lemon juice totally brightens up the asparagus. The real kicker is that we are actually baking our asparagus. You will love the twist. Get your oven ready!
One pound asparagus
One garlic clove (peeled and minced)
I tablespoon of olive oil
3 tablespoons of grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Smear cooking oil on the baking cookie sheet. Don’t overdo it.
- Add your asparagus, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and, parmesan cheese.
- Mix them well to make sure the asparagus is well covered by the cheese.
- Add the garlic salt, black and red pepper to your preference.
- Bake for 10-20 minutes depending on the size of the asparagus. If they are thin, don’t bake for too long to prevent them from shriveling. They hold the cheese better if still plump.
- Serve with an accompaniment or just like it is! Grilled or baked white meat would make a great accompaniment.
See how versatile this healthy vegetable is? You have no reason to keep eating bad foods. You can still have your bacon, cheese, and other yummy foods while losing weight. Weight loss journey doesn’t mean totally cutting off all your favorite foods. It simply means discovering low-calorie meals that keep you full for longer.
Don’t we all love tasty meals? With the above recipes, you have no choice but to fill your fridge with asparagus. Am sure you are running to the grocery store to grab these super affordable ingredients. The good thing is that you can alter the recipes to your preference as long as the alternatives are healthy foods. Cheers to healthy eating!
About the Author Lita Watson: Hi there! I’m Lita, the voice of Quick Easy Cook and I’m absolutely in love with cooking blogs. I’m a beginner in cooking and I try my best to make it quick and easy. Even though, it’s not always quick and easy to keep up with fancy dinners, so I keep learning and blogging about quick and easy ways to create delicious and yummy foods for my two kids and a wonderful husband.