While the biceps get plenty of attention from the bros in the gym, if you’re serious about building a set of impressive arms your triceps deserve at least as much attention. The muscles of the triceps take up a significant proportion of the upper arms, and you can get a pretty comprehensive triceps workout with dumbbells to help make them explode.
Alongside looking mightily impressive, working on your triceps can make a big difference when it comes to your performance on some of the big upper body lifts. This triceps are a crucial part of the bench press and are heavily involved in the military press, so training them regularly is a worthwhile process for those looking to build strength as well as size.
To effectively build mass on your triceps you need to make sure you’re hitting each of the three heads which comprise the muscles – the lateral head, medial head, and long head. Mixing up the exercises you use will allow you to target each of them and develop well-rounded triceps.
If you have a dedicated day for training arms then throw these in to help blast your triceps. If not, look to add them in on the days you’re hitting bench press to help maximise the benefit.
- Bent Over Triceps Extension 2 x 8
- Tate Press 2 x 8
- Standing Triceps Extension 2 x 8
- Lying Triceps Extension 2 x 8
Bent Over Two Arm Triceps Extension
- Set up with your feet about shoulder width apart and your core tight
- Bend over at the waist, keeping your back straight, until your torso is parallel with the floor
- Grasp a dumbbell in each hand
- Bring your right arm up to your side, until the dumbbell is in line with your chest
- Keeping your lower arm vertical, press your arm back in an arc
- Return to the starting position and repeat for the left side
This movement can also be performed with one arm at a time
- Set up on a flat bench with your back flat and both feet firmly on the floor
- Grab a dumbbell with each hand with your palms facing towards your feet
- Keeping your back on the bench and your core tight, lift the weights above the centre of your chest
- Without moving the elbows, raise your arms up and out in a controlled manner contracting your triceps
Standing Triceps Extension
- Set up with your feet around shoulder width apart, with your core tight and your back straight
- Raise a dumbbell over your head with your palms facing up
- Slowly lower the weight in an arc behind your head
- Raise the dumbbell up to the starting position
Lying Triceps Extension
- Set up on a flat bench with your feet firmly on the floor
- Take a dumbbell in both hands with your palms facing up
- Raise the dumbbell up above your chest until your arms are almost straight
- Slowly lower the weight over your head in an arc, maintaining a slight bend in the elbows
- Raise the weight to the starting position in a controlled manner